This tour has now been completed.
The New Zealand China Friendship Society offers a unique opportunity to explore the Mongolian heritage in North China, including a visit to Mongolia. As well as experiencing the distinct culture and lifestyles of the Mongolian people today, the focus will be on Genghis Khan and his grandson, Kubilai Khan, and the legacy of the Mongolian Empire. It was Kubilai Khan who united China as the first emperor of the Yuan Dynasty in 1271.
The tour will also spend time visiting other sites in Shanxi and Hebei, including visits to areas where New Zealand missionary nurse Kathleen Hall was active in the 1940s.
Genghis Khan history: monuments, museums, temples
- Mongolia – the ancient capital of Kharkorin
- Inner Mongolia – Ordos
- Naadam Festival
- culture show
- stay in a ger (yurt)
- Datong – Yungang Buddhist grottoes, Nine Dragon Wall
- Xuankong hanging temple
- Taiyuan – provincial capital sites
- Pingyao – a well-preserved walled town with UNESCO World Heritage status
- Shijiazhuang – visit a cooperative, explore the rural economy
- Anguo – visit the hospital Kathleen Hall established, see how Kathleen Hall is remembered
- Dingzhou – another important location for Kathleen Hall activity
To be arranged, depart for NZ.
Fully escorted, 3 – 4 star, twin-share accommodation. All inclusive price $7250 (estimated, subject to currency exchange rates), includes domestic flights in NZ, all meals, tips, etc., but excludes Chinese visa and insurances.
Tour Name: NZCFS Mongolia and North Central China Tour
Dates: July 9 – 30 2015
Tour Duration: 22 days
Tour Type: Fully escorted
Cost: $7,500 per person (estimated, subject to currency exchange rates)
Itinerary: NZCFS Mongolia and North Central China Tour
To register your interest and for more information please contact Ann White: phone 03 614 8944 email@example.com.